Coronavirus in SA: What we know so far

0
600

The Gauteng Department of Education has confirmed that Grayston Preparatory School in Sandton has been closed for today, following concerns that one of the teachers had contact with 10 people who recently returned from Italy.

Three people in the group have tested positive for the coronavirus. The Health Ministry confirmed that the first patient’s wife was the third person to test positive for the virus. The second person, a Gauteng resident, tested positive on Saturday. The three were part of a group of 10 people who travelled to Italy. 

National Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize said they are awaiting results of six more people who travelled to Italy within the next 48 hours. It is said that the tenth person did not land in SA. 

The Grayston teacher is reportedly in isolation and the National Institute for Communicable Diseases contacted the teacher to request a test.

Furthermore the first person to test positive for the coronavirus is ready to go home.

According to Dr Zweli Mkhize, the Hilton resident still needed to be given official medical clearance before he can head home. 

“On Sunday, I had an opportunity to speak to the first confirmed patient. He was upbeat and jovial. I also spoke to the doctor who is treating him. She confirmed that this patient is responding well and is now asymptomatic. At the right time, as determined by the treating doctors, the patient will be retested to check his recovery progress.” – National Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize

He further said the couple’s children were tested and their results were negative and Dr Robyn Reed, the doctor who first treated the Hilton man, is also in good health. 

What’s the latest news on the Coronavirus in Italy?

A quarter of Italy’s population was in lockdown on Sunday as the government announced a spike in deaths, with infections soaring past 7 000, overtaking South Korea as the country with the highest number of cases after China.

Banning travel for a quarter of the population and closing public gatherings.

Italy’s Covid-19 death count nearly tripled from 133 to 366 and infections rose by a single-day record from 1 492 to 7 375.

The outbreak has now killed nearly 3 792 people and infected more than 109 000 in 99 countries and territories.

Latest update on the Coronavirus in South Africa:

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize stated that four more people have tested positive for the coronavirus in South Africa.

Wednesday morning, 11 March 2020
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize on Wednesday morning, 11 March 2020, confirmed that there are now 13 confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in South Africa.

Thursday, 12 March 2020
Dr Zweli Mkhize announced on Thursday, 12 March 2020, that South Africa now has 17 confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19). This is an additional four cases from Wednesday.

The new four cases are from the following provinces:

FREE STATE:
A 32-year-old male who came into contact with a Chinese businessman. This is the first case of local transmission as all others have been by patients who had travelled abroad.

KWAZULU-NATAL:
A 38-year-old male from Durban who lives in Turkey and was visiting his family in South Africa has tested positive. He had travelled to the UK and returned to SA on 7 March 2020.

MPUMALANGA:
A 27-year-old female from Mpumalanga who had travelled to the United States. She returned to South Africa on 7 March 2020.

GAUTENG:
A 43-year-old male from Johannesburg who had travelled to New York via Dubai and returned to South Africa on 8 March 2020.

Read more: Four more cases of Covid-19 in SA

Read more: 6 More cases of coronavirus confirmed in SA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here